High-speed coherent, IM-DD & RF-analog modulation.
HP-EYDFA, coherent & incoherent beam combination
Adaptive & multi-aperture optics
VERTIGO is building a full scale indoor demonstrator to evaluate diverse modulation formats for the implementation of its optical feeder link including:
- Analog modulation – RF-over FSO
- 25 Gb/s NRZ-OOK / NRZ DPSK & 50 Gb/s NRZ-DQPSK
- 25 – 32 Gbaud QPSK with coherent detection assisted by application specific coding/interleaving algorithms.
VERTIGO is developing up-to-100W high-power transmitter amplification solutions in order to meet the challenging link budget requirements of long-range optical feeder link connectivity. VERTIGO is developing the following breadboard devices that will cover both the ground and space segment:
- up to 50W Erbium-Ytterbium co-doped optical fiber amplifier
- Coherent beam combiner of two 50W optical beams to scale channel optical power to 100W
- Diffraction grating high-power WDM multiplexer supporting 10W optical power per access port
Outdoor demo with turbulence mitigation
VERTIGO is building an outdoor demonstrator as a field trial of its optical feeder link technology. The outdoor demo will implement an optical link between the Zimmerwald Observatory of Uni Bern and the High Altitude Research Station Jungfraujoch in the Swiss Alpes. Two Optical Ground Station (OGS) configurations will be implemented:
- Single aeprture telescope equipped with adaptive optics
- Multi-aperture telescope with tip/tilt correction
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No 822030